Australian Leisure Facilities Association Queensland (ALFAQ) is the representative body for the aquatics and community recreation industry within Queensland. A key focus is the development and implementation of practices to improve the operational viability and sustainability of not only its members but the industry in general.
It has long been recognised that the aquatics industry operates in a utilities hungry environment. In particular, the use of energy, water and chemicals. A further concern is that of the management of associated waste.
The Queensland Department of Environment and Resource Management (DERM) ClimateSmart Business Associations program assists industry groups in leading their membership to achieve higher levels of environmental performance sustainability
ALFAQ has entered into an agreement with the DERM to implement an environmental sustainability program aimed at providing aquatic facilities with a range of tools to implement more effective practices in the usage of chemicals, energy and water, and the management and reduction of associated waste. The program will be referred to as the Queensland Aquatics Sustainability Program (QASP).
The QASP will involve 20 various aquatic facilities including indoor, outdoor and swim schools, undertaking a range of activities to reduce their energy, water and wasteage costs.
Managed by the program steering committee, the QASP will:
- Identify environmental benchmarks to assist facilities to measure their use of water, power and chemicals and associated waste:
- Develop industry based Key Performance Indicators to assist facilities to measure and compare their use of water, power and chemicals and associated waste:
- Work with industry suppliers to improve and develop environmentally friendly products and equipment for use by aquatic facilities:
- Provide the industry with a Best Practice Guide containing case studies, policies, procedures, checklists and operational strategies to reduce the use of energy, water, and chemicals and improve waste management:
- Develop and implement a sustainability accreditation program using industry bench marks and best practice guidelines: and
- Recognise those individuals, facilities and suppliers that achieve outstanding results in environmental based improvements in their relevant field through establishing an awards criteria and subsequent sustainability awards to be presented at an industry event
This program would not be possible without the financial support of the DERM ClimateSmart program.
ALFAQ is also seeking suppliers and businesses that can provide additional support and involvement in the program through their own eco-friendly products and services.
A list of businesses and suppliers involved in the QASP can viewed here.
Please book mark this site and return often as we will be updating the outcomes of the program continually.
For further information please go to our Contact Us page.